Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Homemade Ice Cream




From the kitchen of my Grandpa, this is soo good. On the chance you have leftovers (very rare), it's really good right out of the freezer too. I know the ice cream maker is important too. All my extended family has White Mountain ice cream makers. I've never made this myself because I don't have a White Mountain. Maybe I'll try it myself this summer in my own and see how it turns out.

Beat until creamy:
5 eggs
2 1/4 c. sugar

1 c. evaporated milk
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1/2 gallon whole milk (won't use it all)
1/4 tsp. lemon extract
3 Tbl. vanilla
3-4 junket tablets (these help it set up somehow. All I know is my Mom can't find them where she lives and has to stock up sometimes when she comes to Utah.)

Don't mix it too much with the beaters. Crush up the junket tablets and dissolve them in a small amount of water. Combine everything in ice cream maker except whole milk, then add the whole milk until container (6 qt.) is 2/3 full.

Freeze. Fill the ice cream maker with ice, then rock salt. Repeat until full, and then while freezing and it melts a little.

Edit: I tried it with my ice cream maker (not a White Mountain) and it wasn't as creamy but it was still REALLY good!

No comments: