Thursday, May 22, 2008

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce


I love this spaghetti sauce. It's thick, just the way I like it. This is really easy, and not too sweet like so many store bought pasta sauces (in my opinion).




I always make it with angel hair pasta. This last time I tried to mix things up and used linguine. My husband appreciated the variety and liked it, but I decided I liked the angel hair better and the angel hair is easier for the kids to eat. They had a hard time getting the fatter noodles on their forks. I always break the angel hair in half before I put it in the boiling water. Also easier for the kids to eat themselves so I don't have to cut the noodles up on their plate before eating.

I made up this recipe myself and just kind of throw it together every time I make it so forgive the vague directions and measurements.

1 lb. ground turkey or beef
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 package sliced mushrooms
1 zucchini, sliced or chopped
tomato sauce, 32 oz. or more
basil
garlic

Brown your meat in an electric fry pan with an onion. Add the green pepper, sliced mushrooms, zucchini (I like big chunks in little half circles but my family isn't as crazy about zucchini as I am. Last time I chopped it up small and my husband approved it).

Add tomato sauce. Honestly, the amount of tomato sauce I use depends on what vegetables I have on hand. I just add tomato sauce until it's the consistency I want it. At least 32 oz. and usually more I think.

Add garlic and basil. To be honest, I never measure these either. About a teaspoon of garlic. And I usually just sprinkle the basil over the top so it covers everything, probably 2-3 teaspoons. Or more. I don't know. Sometimes I add a teaspoon of sugar to help with the acidity of the tomatoes (probably depending on how the heartburn is that day, haha) but not usually.

Let it simmer 10-15 minutes.

Serve over angel hair pasta and top with Parmesan cheese. Serve with garlic bread and a fresh salad.


The pictures at the very top have a yellow and orange pepper (I was trying to use them up) and this picture at the bottom has a green pepper and whole wheat linguine pasta instead of angel hair.

No comments: