Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Beef Stroganoff


So I just made this recipe myself for the first time and it was delish. I used whole wheat pasta, I didn't thicken the sauce at all (besides the flour on the meat), and I didn't saute the mushrooms. This meat practically melted in your mouth it was so tender.

My other discovery: steam your broccoli in salted water. It didn't need any other seasoning on top of it and my family inhaled it. I've been cutting up the broccoli really small into nice size bites and everyone is eating more of the baby size broccoli bites than when I just cook the florets straight out of the bag. (As a side note, don't you think broccoli should be spelled with one "c" and two "l"s? Brocolli looks so much better than broccoli.)

4 lbs. top sirloin steak
2 can French onion soup
1 lb. sliced mushrooms
32 oz. sour cream
egg noodles
1 tsp. of sugar for each can of soup used

Cut meat across grain in thin strips. Dust the meat in seasoned flour and brown in electric skillet in a small amount of butter.

Remove meat from pan and add 2 cans of soup - deglazing pan at the same time (scrape off all the flour and meat pieces from the bottom of the pan).

Thicken soup with flour and water, then return meat to pan. Add mushrooms (can saute in butter first). Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours on low heat.

Reduce heat to warm and add sour cream. Don't let it boil as it will curdle the cream.

This works well in a crock pot.

No comments: