Friday, March 30, 2007

Broccoli Beef


1. Marinade:

1 Tbl. cornstarch
1 clove garlic - smashed
3-4 slices ginger root (cut up and freeze the slices, then you can just pull out a few slices when you make it)
2 Tbl. oil
1 Tbl soy sauce

Cut 1 flank steak (about 1.25 pounds) in lengthwise strips. Then cut each strip in 1/4" slices at an angle against the grain (this makes the meat very tender). Marinate the cut steak while preparing the rest.

2. Cook broccoli florettes with a little bit of oil until you can poke them with a fork.

3. Gravy: 6-8 times this amount

1 Tbl. cornstarch
2 Tbl. ketchup
1/2 c. water
1 Tbl. soy sauce
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. curry powder
1 Tbl worchestershire sauce

4. Cook the meat in a pan (take out the pieces of ginger root). When it's browned add the gravy and cook together. Add the broccoli right before serving and serve meat, broccoli, and gravy mixture over rice.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Making this for my recipe group tonight! I just sat down to type up the recipe and thought - I bet Whitney has it on her blog. Thank you for your picture and recipe, you saved me so much time! I hope I can make it right!