Thursday, August 14, 2008

One Eyed Jacks


Trying something new here. I had never made these before so if anyone has any tricks or tips, feel free to share how you do it.

Use a glass to cut a hole in the piece of bread. Butter one side of the bread and place on griddle set to medium high heat.

Butter the other side of the bread, then crack an egg into the hole. Salt and pepper as desired, flip when ready.

If you like, butter the circle of bread you cut out and cook it on the griddle too. Use it to dip in the egg yolk. Serve with hashbrowns and orange juice.

We thought these tasted good, but it was more of hassle when cooking for multiple people. Faster to just make fried eggs with toast.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been making these since I was 5 years old. Literally! My kids love them. We do it exactly as you described. I have one that likes them "dipped", and one that doesn't. But we call them "One eyed monsters"

Maria said...

I have never tried this before...it looks interesting!!

The White Clan said...

Chris might actully like those. He is a major fried egg fan. I might have to serve it with grits too. He would love me forever!

Chantel and Brian said...

I learned to make them in my cooking class in jr. high, but we called them A hole in one. I like them cooked how you do them, but I also like them when I scramble the egg before I put it in the middle.

Steph said...

I grew up on these! My Mom would make them for me almost every day before school! I haven't had one in years!

Whitney said...

I love big breakfasts. I think it takes me back to my childhood somehow.

If you try these, let me know how they work out and pass along your tips!

Chan, I'll have to try them scrambled.

Anonymous said...

oh i love egg in the hole - as we call it at our house. but after we flip it once we add a slice of cheese to it - makes it even more delish!

Anonymous said...

This is one of the first things Girl Scouts learn to cook on a tin can stove. We called it bird in the nest. Whatever you call it, it's good. But I don't like that la-ti-da one-eyed jack recipe where you create a pancake-like base. Bread, butter, and an egg are all you need.