Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Key Lime Pie


Aka, my new addiction.

I've posted this before, but I've figured out a few tips to make it better (*at the bottom), so I thought I'd share.

1 reduced fat graham cracker crust
1 small package lime jello (sugar free)
24 oz. key lime pie yogurt (depending on the size of the containers, 3-8 oz. or 4-6 oz.)
1 1/2 c. fat free cool chip (half a container)
1 envelope Knox gelatin
1/2 c. cold water
1/2 c. boiling water

Sprinkle 1 envelope Knox gelatin over 1/2 c. cold water and let sit for 1 minute. Add lime jello to 1/2 c. boiling water and stir until dissolved. Add the gelatin mixture to the boiling water and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Chill for 10 minutes to cool. (so it doesn't curdle the yogurt)

When jello mixture is cooled, fold in key lime yogurt. Chill again, about 10 minutes.

Add cool whip. Pour mixture into graham cracker crust and chill.




Just before serving, top each slice with a dollop of cool whip and a slice of lime.


They also make key lime yogurt in a thick and creamy variety. I think this works best.


And THEN I discovered these cute little babies:


They're mini crusts. Tart size. And they are cute.

When we made a couple of these pies at my mom's house, we always had a little bit of filling left over that wouldn't fit into the pie crust. These would be perfect for that leftover filling. For some reason, when I made it at my house, it fit into the crust perfectly. So of course I had to scoop a little off the top to try out one of the cute little mini crusts.


*I have figured out a few tricks after making this a few times. I use the thick and creamy yogurt. It helps it set up the thickest. I whip the yogurt together before adding the jello, they add the jello only a few teaspoons at a time and stir it until it is a uniform consistency before adding more jello. This way I don't get chunks of jello like this:


You can tell even from the pictures that the texture is a lot smoother this way. Don't chill the yogurt and jello mixture too long in the fridge before adding the cool whip, or it sets up to much and the consistency will be more lumpy than smooth.

Last time I had to take it to a party, so I cut it into pieces and topped each piece right in the pie plate (top picture).

4 comments:

Chantel and Brian said...

I think in one of your pictures I saw corn bread, cooked like a muffin? Do you use a normal recipe and then just cook it in a muffin cup?

Julie said...

If this is the same pie I tried when we were at your house, I can't wait to make it! I only had a bite of Matt's and was going to have my own piece the next day, but I forgot! I'm so bummed!

Adam and Melisa said...

Can you just make me one?! It looks so delicious and refreshing!!

Lyd Stew said...

I love easy recipes! This one looks yummy! Lovely presentation!