Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Chocolate Zucchini Cake



I got this recipe from a college roommate, Carli. This is so good I had it usually have it for my birthday cake every year. The cinnamon in this cake is just perfect. The zucchini makes it very moist. It doesn't need frosting.

I usually just make this in a 9x13 dish and sprinkle the chocolate chips on top, but as you can see my sister found this awesome cake pan that we love. When we make the beehive cake, we stir the chocolate chips into the batter. Like I said, this cake doesn't need frosting, but it looks pretty on the beehive. We've tried it different times with white frosting or chocolate frosting. I didn't have a picture of our white icing so that picture is from Williams-Sonoma. I'll try to track down that recipe and put it up here.

1/2 c. soft margarine
1 3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. oil
2 eggs
1/2 c. sour milk (1/2 c. milk, 1/2 tsp. vinegar or lemon juice)
4 Tbl. cocoa
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour
2 c. shredded zucchini

Cream margarine, oil, and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, and milk. Beat with mixer. Mix all dry ingredients together and add to creamed mixture. Beat. Stir in zucchini. Pour in 9x13 pan. Sprinkle top with 1 c. chocolate chips. Bake at 325 for 40-45 minutes.

No comments: